Monday, May 11, 2009

What A Bargain!


I have been keeping an eye on the real estate section of our local newspaper for a while now. Driving around on the weekends to look at open houses. Browse the real estate web sites to gather more info on listings of distant cities. I can safely say I can feel the pulse of the local RE market.

Why the exercise? Bargain hunting for real estate investment.

Just last weekend, I saw a new listing on the newspaper for a house in Pasadena, listed for $890,000. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths at around 1500 sq ft., lot size of around 9000 sq ft. I drove by and found it quite a pleasant home, well-managed and in a nice neighborhood.

I immediately called my RE agent, asked her to arrange a visit and getting ready to offer $790,000. The whole evening I was worried that maybe the offer was too high. The real estate market is supposed to have fallen, right?

This morning my RE agent left a message on my cell and said that the house has received 12 offers, some of which are above the asking price, do I still want to see the house?

What???

4 comments:

  1. If you can spare the time, yes. Great start to shop and compare. Quite skeptical about the 12 offers though... hey but that's just moi ! : P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Unbelievabe. But mortgage rate is low, right?

    We have sale above asking price for an old house in the area we live...multi offer, sold in days. Am I the only poor man on Earth. I need to move to another planet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know if it is good fung shui for a house to be in the middle of a cul-de-sac with the road going into the driveway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cul-de-sac is not road to go (no outlet). Any house in a cul-de-sac is usually not good, especially with the road directing towards the house. No good.

    ReplyDelete