
St. Patty's Day is this Tuesday, March 17. Not being Irish myself (MsDeem is Anglo-Saxton, I think, but that's another story), I know nothing about the Day other than if you don't wear something green, people will pinch you (courtesy of Joanne). Other things that come to mind are shamrocks, corned beef and cabbage and leprechauns. So I decided to look up these things to see how they relate to St. Patrick.
St. Patrick is a patron saint of Ireland and March 17 is the anniversary of his death, a religious feast day. When the Irish immigrated to America, they organized their political power, their voting block was known as the 'green machine'. Shamrock is a sacred plant of ancient Ireland, it symbolizes the rebirth of spring and is a symbol of Irish Nationalism. Cabbage is a common food of the Irish and corned beef is a substitute for the traditional Irish bacon because it is less expensive. Leprechauns are small fairies and has nothing to do with St. Patrick's Day! Seems to me all these things are indeed Irish but they are a long stretch to relating to St. Patrick.
There are many St. Patrick's Day parades in the US, but the most interesting celebration is dyeing the Chicago River green on St. Patrick's Day!
Happy St. Patty's day and remember to wear something GREEN!
(Did you see those High Scores on Pacman, are they for real?)
? .Angelo-Saxton. What's the story?
ReplyDeleteMmm, nice to learn about the 'green' chicago river event...thanks and happy st patty's day to you and all too!
ReplyDeletehahaha nice Mother! I have 2 finals on Tuesday so I don't think anyone will be thinking about pinching me! hahaa see you soon
ReplyDeleteFir, I bet you didn't know. Rumor has it that the progression of MsDeem is like this:
ReplyDeleteDean-originally, Anglo-Saxton.
McDean-'Mc' was added to all hype last names, like McArabia in Dubai as Jen has pointed out when McDonald became exceedingly popular.
McDeem-from poor pronounciation and misspelling when immigrated to the U.S.
Thus, McDeem henceforth.
If you believe that, I have a ranch to sell you in N. Dakota.