Thursday, March 5, 2009

What to buy in Dubai?


Buddy girl, Jen, will be going to Dubai with her school next week. There is a Chinese saying -traveling ten thousand miles is better than reading ten thousand books. Doesn't Dubai sound like an intriguing city? I want to go too!!
So I have been researching about Dubai these couple of days. It is one of the seven Emirates in the United Arab Emirates. Situated on the south shores of the Persian Gulf and is the second largest Emirate after Abu Dhabi. It is also known as the 'Pearl of the Persian Gulf'. Population is mostly foreigner with less than 10% national Emiratis. Official language is Arabic, but English, Hindi and Urdu (?) are also spoken there.
It boasts the world's tallest building- Burj Dubai. There are many interesting buildings, among them the most famous is the sail shaped building (see picture), Burj Al Arab. It is a 5 star hotel (unofficially known as the world's only 7 star hotel) built on an artificial island. Besides museums and mosque, there are water parks such as Wild Wadi and Wonderland. Must do includes creek tours on abras (water taxi), sand-skiing, desert safari and camel rides.
Of course, there are numerous western and traditional shopping centers. But after many hours of research, I still don't know what they produce. What to buy that is totally unique to Dubai?
Anyone tempted to go?

15 comments:

  1. I love to go to Dubai also. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dubai sounds interesting. Lucky Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to your rich parents, Jen!
    The old Chinese saying... the cow farms, the horse transports; Dad earns the money, the kids enjoy!
    Remember to take more pictures and write a full report on your trip. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that saying, Yi Ma! hahaa but Jengen is indeed lucky, I want to go too! Nice research, Mums. Things to buy in Dubai... apparently gold is a "must". As for unique, there are carpets, Arab coffeepots, wooden chests, traditional daggers, cushions. Oh and electronic goods are supposedly cheaper there! You can buy me stuff, Jen! Nice! hahaa jk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like somebody also did a nice research! Umm, Jen, maybe a nice carryon Persian carpet (just kidding). Definitely email a list of souvenirs for everyone to pick from. Virtual gifts not acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, no wonder Jeevan told me to "make sure to buy carpets home" - I didn't know what he meant until I read Joanne's comment.

    Yes, gold there is supposed to be cheap - we had a Dubai meeting last night and one of the guys said he wanted to buy bars of gold and sell them here in the states. And then Sean (coordinator) says: what? sell them on Trousdale (a street on USC campus? haha.

    Good research, mom. Yes, Dubai is the second largest Emirate. We will be there for the most part, but we are also going to Abu Dhabi for a day or two (overnight @ Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi).

    These are the companies we will be visiting (tentative): McKinsey; Jones, Lang, and Lasalle; Emirates Air; Jumeirah; Nomura; Nakheel; QOYANA; Dubai Mercantile Exchange; Dubai Health Care City; Tiger Woods Dubai; Dubailand; TDIC; Mubadala; The National Newspaper; Aldar; and Haliburton.

    Hopefully, we will also be getting a World Island Tour! And a desert safari adventure...on camels!

    Oh, and apparently the McDonalds there is really different. They serve lamb (or chicken) patties instead of beef patties. The McArabia - lamb patties in pita bread. Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indoor skiing, anyone?
    http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2008-03/ski-dubai.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. As for souvenirs, apparently the dates (food) there are very very good, and they have multiple varieties. If I find a store that has them, I will buy and bring home for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dates sounds good. Is it a snack? Make sure you can bring them back to the States. What the heck is Tiger Woods Dubai - a golf course?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, Tiger Woods Dubai is a private residential community and resort, and features a golf course (with varying dramatic elevation changes) designed by Tiger Woods.

    Speaking of golf, in the picture that you posted, do you see that small circle patch of green sticking out near the top right of the sailboat building? Tiger Woods hit some golf balls off of there (for promotion)..And once, for another promotional reason, they converted this "helipad" into a tennis course so Andrew Agassi and Roger Federer could play on it..haha!

    Here is another view: http://www.marshu.com/images-website/collection-architecture/burj-al-arab-hotel-emirates/burj-al-arab-dubai-hotel-sail-arab-emirates-tiger-woods-playing-golf-01.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds Fun. I have confidence that you will find something good to buy. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know who Roger Federer is - he is the Rolex guy who can play tennis. You know so much about Dubai already, you can be our tour guide.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe we can start a MsDeem Dubai? Everyone can help me design it. My celebrity status (or lack of it) is right up there with ...Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I wish that I could go with Jen. We all should go. My sister, Ronnie, had been there and she couldn't even get into the seven star hotel. Apparently you have to make reservations well ahead of time. You can find anything in Dubai, I mean all the brand name products. Everything is imported there. They have a big market, so all expensive stuff are imported into Dubai. Yes, carpet is worth buying there. I heard that the quality is really good. With money, you can almost buy anything that you can name of. When I went to Kuwait with Eric last time, he was really facinated by all those fancy cars on the road.
    Enjoy your stay Jen. You are so lucky.
    Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jacinta, I think we should all go. The place sounds really fascinating. And there is so much shopping. I have figured I could save more money by shopping than investing.

    ReplyDelete