Monday, November 30, 2009

A Lesson Well Learnt


I was going to write about the weekend Trojan-Bruin football game. But too much has been written on the last minute TD, I am going to pass.

Instead, I am writing about something that dawned on me today. A close relative of mine is fighting an uphill battle with cancer. Her courage and perseverance impressed me. Every time I see her, she does not look like someone who is suffering from cancer. She never complains about her condition, her fate or her pain. I have nothing but admiration for her. Her attitude toward her sickness makes life easier for people around her.

All this time, I have been reminding myself that I should be brave and calm when bad things happen to me. But this afternoon when I was having lunch, I realize that I don't have to have cancer to follow her example.

I realize that when I am facing a problem, I am really consumed by stress. People around me suffer too because I am not a happy trooper. So starting today, when I am bothered by something, I will try not to affect people around me.

Hmm... I guess I could try to ignore the problem (which is hard) or suffer in private (which is harder) or drink my sorrow away (almost impossible)... Any other suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Never ignore your problem. Just learn how to handle stress. Stay calm. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MD, please do not be so stressed out! (But please do not take the Stress Management class that I took this semester). Take it easy, relax, smile, laugh (haha). As for C, I have great & total admiration and respect for her strength through her tough time. She is such a strong fighter and tough cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! That is very wise. I definitely will try not to bring down people around me too.

    I think ignoring the problem will only delay the stress and that drinking is the worst way to deal with it because you'll just get more depressed or you might drink too much. I think the last option happens to me a lot but I try to have a person I can talk to about it and I usually feel better. Or I try to think about all the things I have and appreciate and realize that life's too short to stress out all the time. Even though I stress out a lot, there is always something I look forward to and am excited for (=

    And I admire C very much too. She is so amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not believe one size fits all. If you like to whine a little bit, that is fine too. One way to release stress is to talk to others. I am always here to listen though probably cannot help much :-)

    ReplyDelete